What Is Silk And How Is Silk Fibre Produced
In this Technical Tutorial, we address what silk is and where it comes from, along with methods of silk fibre production. It is accompanied by a film - slightly edited with permission - created in partnership with Ahimsa Silks (Mr Rajaiah Kusuma) and Goethe-Zentrum Hyderabad productions, that showcases the different methods used in conventional mulberry silk production and mulberry peace silk production, along with imagery of silk being spun and woven by hand and on handlooms.
This Tutorial is an overview of silk production methods, and we recommend that you also dive into the case studies from producers, fabric dealers and brands to better understand the nuances of this fibre - and the ethics of it.
In this Tutorial you will learn:
- What silk is, and where it comes from
- Key terminology to help you break down the distinction between fibre and fabric types
- Preferred silk types and some certifications and standards to look out for
- How 'conventional' silk is made, and how it differs to 'peace' silk
- The life cycle of the Bombyx Mori silkworm
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?