Choosing Sustainable Sewing Threads
Sewing threads are yarns engineered and designed to pass through a sewing machine quickly. Selecting the right thread is crucial in achieving good sewing performance, quality and the longevity of your product. The longer your products last, the better environmental impact. In this video, we discuss all the critical factors to consider when you choose your threads, and why.
In this video you'll learn:
- How sewing threads are made.
- The difference between spun and filament threads.
- The most common types of threads and their uses.
- Factors that will affect the look of the fibres.
- How threads are spun, soft and hard twists, and how that might affect your product.
- What to consider when you choose the raw material of a yarn.
- Thread finishes.
- Key thread terminology.
- What to look for when choosing your thread.
- Examples of eco-friendly threads.
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?