Front Porch Mercantile: Running a Bricks & Mortar & an Introduction to Franchising
I had the pleasure of an interview with Wendy Batten, the founder and director of Front Porch Mercantile, a retail store in North America selling beautiful, reclaimed furniture which you can buy fully upcycled with their own ethical paints, or, you can even join in one of their fabulous workshops to learn how to do it yourself (among many other things). Wendy is also a coach and works with two of the biggest ethical paint lines in North America. But even more impressive is that just five years in, Wendy has franchised the business and is currently opening store numbers three and four! She has an incredible nose for business - I could have chatted to her for hours.
In this video you'll learn:
- Wendy's eureka moment for starting the business.
- Why Wendy has such a passion for sustainability.
- How they source their reclaimed products.
- Who the target market is and how to get in front of them.
- The steps to setting up a shop.
- Top tips for building and running a bricks and mortar business.
- The drivers behind Wendy's quick success.
- An overview of franchising, and how it works for Wendy's business.
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?