Bedstraw and Madder: Plant-Dyed Regenerative Underwear
Underwear is the garment that's closest to our skin, and the skin is also the largest and most absorbent organ of our body. So why do we continue designing, making and wearing intimate apparel that is full of chemicals? The intimate apparels sector is vast and booming, especially since the Covid-19 pandemic, with an increasing awareness from customers of how these often overlooked garments are essential for our comfort, support and confidence.
In this interview with the co-founder of plant-based underwear and loungewear brand Bedstraw and Madder, Primose Matheson takes us through why growing natural dyes is of benefit for our skin, our health, for farmers and for land, and how this works symbiotically with regenerative cotton initiatives in India.
Coming from a health and wellbeing background, Primrose places community and education at root of her business, while her co-founder Vanessa provides stability in design and production. Read, watch or listen to hear Primrose's passion in creating a product that is holistically beneficial.
In this lesson you'll learn:
- Advice on finding your own dye community to work with
- The benefits of natural dyes, for fashion and health
- What regenerative cotton is, and why it's better than traditional organic cotton
- Ways to engage customers in discussions on regenerative holistic issues
- Materials and dye plants suited to underwear and loungewear
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?