How To Sew An Infinity Scarf
Infinity scarves are the must-have accessory for any season. You just throw the scarf on and off you go - instant outfit! So, why not make one yourself?
You Will Need
- 2 yards of fabric (this will make two infinity scarves, or one infinity scarf and a strip of extra material)
- Scissors or a rotary cutter (if using a rotary cutter you will also need a cutting mat)
- Ruler or seamstress tape
- Sewing machine
- Choose 2 yards of fabric. Cut your fabric in half lengthwise so that it measures approximately 22 inches in width by 2 yards in length
- Fold your fabric in half lengthwise and pin together so the pattern is on the inside. This will create a rectangle approximately 11” x 2 yards.
- Make sure the ends of your fabric are square
- Sew along the pinned side of the scarf using a half inch seam allowance. When you reach the end, back stitch (along the length, not the end), leaving you with a very long tube.
- Lay your scarf on your ironing board with the seam in the middle of the scarf. Using the tip of your iron press open the seam.
- Flip your scarf so that it is right side out.
- Fold you infinity scarf in half so that the two open ends are laying on top of each other. It will now measure approximately 10″ by 1 yard. With the two ends of your scarf in your hands find the seam that you just pressed open. Pinch together so that the seams are lined up and the right side of the fabric is facing each other. Pin. Start working your way about a quarter of the way around the circle adding pins as you go. Bring to your sewing machine.
- Sew the two ends together (through two layers of fabric) You are now going to be sewing the two ends of your scarf together. You will be sewing through two layers of fabric. I loop the bottom circle of the scarf around the bottom of my sewing machine and leave the top circle free. Start stitching around the circle leaving a half inch seam allowance.
- Keep sewing around the circle slowly, making sure your edges are matched up. Once you get a little bit past half way around the circle the loop around the bottom part of your sewing machine will get too tight to continue sewing. Slip it off of the bottom of your sewing machine. Take your top section of fabric. Flip it inside out so it makes a little pocket and put the top section of scarf inside it. Bunch that part of the scarf down so it takes up as little room as possible.
- Keep sewing your seams together until you are about to hit the part of the scarf you have in the pocket. (This should leave you a couple of inches to flip the scarf back right side out and hand stitch the remainder.) Backstitch, remove from sewing machine and pull scarf out of pocket.
- Tuck the raw edges inside the hole and pinch together.
- Hand sew the hole closed using a hidden stitch.
Original post found here: http://www.sewcreativeblog.com/tutorial-how-to-sew-an-infinity-scarf-30-minute-project/
If you want some fab fabric inspiration for your project, don't forget to check out our website www.offsetwarehouse.com and be sure to send us pictures of your finished infinity scarf via Facebook and Twitter! We love to see what you guys create!