How Bad is the World’s Water Crisis & What Can Designers Do About It?
The fashion industry is hugely reliant on one of the world's most essential resources - water. Making up 72% of the planet's surface and two-thirds of our bodies, water is precious but is being used wastefully and toxically by design companies to create more clothing than we need.
Saving the Grace is a blog and Instagram platform founded by Emily Broughton, that encourages people to think holistically about the water they use in their daily lives and the ways it ties us all to the great eco-system of the planet. By changing our habits, Emily says, we have the power to bring positive impact to water systems that lie well beyond our familiar environments. With the help of some profoundly unsettling statistics, in this interview, you'll learn the extent of the world's water crisis and how we can start to take responsibility as designers and consumers for protecting our water systems around the globe.
In this video, you'll learn:
- Why the world is currently facing a water crisis and the principal causes
- How the fashion industry is contributing to the crisis
- How our laundry habits contribute to the crisis and the role designers have to play
- What are microfibres and how to counteract their release into water streams
- Some quick changes that you can make to your lifestyle to be more conscious of water issues.
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?