Technical Considerations For Natural Colour
A 27 minute Technical Tutorial from ao textiles, that takes you through the challenges and opportunities for producing and using natural colour at scale. The team behind the studio - Karen Spurgin, Penny Walsh and Emma D'Arcey - with their bundle of expertise introduce you to fascinating historic methods and ingredients that can be revitalised in modern textile production to create sustainable and ethical - even regenerative - colour. They give specifics on furnishing fabrics and homewares from their experience in developing these products for industry, in collaboration with the likes of Gainsborough Silk Weavers.
There is a part two, with additional technical considerations on using surface pattern design for soft homewares and interior products. Find that here.
In this Technical Tutorial you will learn:
- About the ao textiles studio and team
- Challenges and opportunities for natural colour at scale, including receptivity of stakeholders
- Considerations for historic techniques, methods and ingredients, including utilisation and discard of waste
- The importance of reducing environmental impact of dyeing
- Technical terminology including light fastness and colour fastness
- Technical considerations for appropriate weaves and fibres, specifically for homeware products and outdoor furnishings
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?