How to process the nettle plant into fibre
Brigitte Kaltenbacher is a resarcher, tutor and speaker on traditional textile craft processes, and is particularly interested and a specialist in nettle fibre. In this Technical Tutorial, Brigitte takes you through the full hand process of taking stinging nettle from the ground, through processing, to considerations for weaving. To understand the history and sustainability of nettle fibre, watch part one first.
In this video you'll learn:
- How to harvest stinging nettle efficiently and properly for use as a fibre
- The types of nettle fibre retting
- How to scutch and hackle nettle fibre for yarn
- Hand-spinning method for nettle yarn
- Considerations for weaving, and types of textile suitable for nettle
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?