Toxic Fashion: Chemicals in the Textile Industry
Are you wearing new clothes without washing them? Do you know how to remove formaldehyde from clothing (... yes, there may be cancer-causing formaldehyde in your wardrobe!)
Understanding the chemicals used in clothing manufacturing and the production of textiles is central to the debate around sustainable fashion.
In this webinar, experts from Chemsec discuss the topic and take questions. Find out once and for all the impact your designs are having on the environment and the people who make them, and how to reduce it.
In this video, you'll learn:
- The adverse effects of chemicals in textiles and how can we begin to solve these issues.
- What chemicals are harmful and good, and where do you find alternatives?
- Is there a way to test your fabric for chemicals and what to do if you find them in your clothing.
- What to do as a brand if your supplier is not forthcoming with the chemicals they are using.
- How to find dyes, chemicals and dye labs for smaller quantities.
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?
Regulations and Directives for Textileswith Sarah Blackham
A roundup of essential information from existing lessons Introduction to Regulations and Directives and Regulations and Directives for Toys, Childrenswear and UV Accessories.
Product technologist Sarah Blackham introduces what regulations and directives are, along with highlighting critical chemical tests, laboratories and websites to get you started on material and product testing.