Introduction to Pattern Cutting: Before You Start
In the introduction to this Masterclass, discover the vital things to know before you start your pattern cutting journey. We take you through essential pattern cutting equipment, an explanation of the standard terms you'll hear when working with patterns, and an overview of the different methods out there.
In this video you'll learn:
- What tools you need for basic pattern cutting
- How to use a pattern master
- The terminologies of basic pattern cutting
- How to mark up your pattern pieces so they are clear and easy to use
- The correct techniques for marking seam allowance
- About the two main techniques of pattern cutting and when to use them
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?
Find out more here or, click to enjoy our free articles before upgrading
Taking Measurements Professionallywith Nina Redman
Taking accurate body measurements is crucial for a great fit.
Whether you make your pattern block from a commercial fitting pattern or draft it from measurements, having precise measurements is critical to a well-fitting block, and in turn, of everything you make.
Professional pattern cutter, Nina Redman, demonstrates on a mannequin how to take the following measurements: chest and back, shoulder, neckline, nape to waist, front shoulder to waist, armscye and sleeve length.