Tierra: building the first ever bio-fuel jacket from castor beans, corn, Tencel and nuts
After the Paris Climate Change Conference where oil dependency was a hot topic, Tierra decided to take a stand and develop something so simple yet never done before: a jacket fully free from fossil-based material. The result is Deterra® Jacket – the first ever 100 % bio-based jacket including materials from castor beans, wool, corn, Tencel, cotton and corozo nuts.
In this video you'll learn:
- Why Tierra decided to work towards a 100% biodegradable product.
- How they overcame the struggles of sourcing sustainable and locally-produced materials.
- Their ethos on buying less, choosing well and enjoying a product for a long time.
- Looking at sustainability through every element of the supply chain: sourcing sustainable packaging, made in the UK, recycled materials and as local as possible.
- Changing the way customers think - a product someone can keep for a long time and how it's important for customers to have a relationship with the product.
- How the company have grown as a business.
- What their main avenue to markets are.
- Deciding price points.
- Tips for smaller designers who want to work more sustainably.
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?