The Ethical Silk Company: Building A Brand Around Peace Silk Fabric and Fair Trade Production
This is a 30 minute interview with Eva Power, the founder of The Ethical Silk Company. This is a brand making luxury women's nightwear and accessories from ethically sourced mulberry peace silk. Founded through a connection with family in India, and an appreciation of the benefits of silk for bedding, Eva has developed the business to incorporate heritage crafts, fair trade manufacture and honest sharing of the ethical sourcing she uses.
In this lesson you will hear not only about the benefits of using silk, but how to build a brand on just one solid quality item. Learn about the challenges in running a business, and opportunities for working transparently with your producers.
In this interview you will learn:
- About the Ethical Silk Company and the brand ethos
- The benefits of online selling
- The importance of well-managed finances
- Challenges in sourcing silk fabric and the importance of good working relationships
- Considerations for using ethical silk and the terminology of ethical silk
- Design considerations for working with silk
- Advice for designers and brands
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?