Socko: Beautiful darning with purpose
What did you do the last time you found a hole in your pair of socks? Emma Mathews hopes that you reached for a needle and thread and got to darning! With repair skills falling out of popularity, Emma is on a mission to change the way people think about clothes that need mending. Instead of chucking them out, she wants people to fix them instead.
Her business Socko, manufactures the UK's only brand of fully sustainable socks. In this presentation, she explains how she's using her background in craft to change people's mindsets and extend clothing life for increased sustainability in the fashion industry.
In this video you'll learn:
- Why Emma chose to establish a sustainable sock brand
- Why extending the life of our clothes is one of the most important aspects of becoming a fully sustainable clothing brand
- About consumer attitudes towards mending and their overall skills when it comes to repairing clothing
- About different mending methods from around the world
- Why it's crucial to set a clear mission for your business, and how Emma approached hers
- What's next for Socko!
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?
Find out more here or, click to enjoy our free articles before upgrading