Birdsong: Building A Fashion Social Enterprise
This is a 33 minute Interview with the two founders of social enterprise and womenswear brand Birdsong. When Sophie Slater co-founded Birdsong, she came from a background of activism, and having worked on the shop floor of American Apparel, she realised first-hand what she didn’t want the brands she shopped from to look like.
What motivates you to challenge the status quo? What upsets you about the industry enough to launch your own business? Is a social enterprise business model the way to go to realise your dreams, by making profit to sustain your business and support marginalised communities? Step in to this interview to get inspired on the practical action required.
Thumbnail image: Liz, "granny" knitter
In this Interview you will learn:
- About Birdsong, their sustainability criteria and social ethos of their business
- How the brand is working to change consumer behaviour
- Why they have a "no photoshop" policy
- How they found the makers they work with and the challenges they faced
- How Birdsong approached funding and tips for crowdfunding
- Their best routes to market
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?