The Key Issues of Cotton Production
As one of the oldest fabrics to be used by mankind, cotton has a far and wide-reaching impact on the environment and people. We know that there are many complexities when it comes to working with cotton - but what are the key issues that you as a designer or business owner need to know about?
Bringing together highlights from insightful conversations on The Sustainable Fashion Collective, we break down the key challenges for cotton, including water usage, GMO crops, and forced labour.
In this video you'll learn:
- About the key environmental and social issues associated with the production of cotton
- Why cotton has such a bad reputation in terms of its water footprint
- How addressing gender equality can improve the welfare of cotton farmers
- How GMOs came to exist in India and their impact on farmers
- What impact cotton growing has on soil health and creating food scarcity
- About cotton's devastating connection to forced and slave labour issues
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?
The Cotton Market and Cotton Production Processeswith Charlie Bradley Ross
In this Lesson we bring together key segments from across the platform that cover the cotton market and the fascinating production process of cotton fibres and fabrics. We focus in on organic fibres and regenerative fibres, helping you get to grips with definitions of both. We also look at some of the cotton by-products and how these take cotton beyond its use in fabric production.