Designing Fairtrade and Organic Cotton Childrenswear That Lasts
Long-lasting childrenswear was swiftly becoming something of an oxymoron, but thanks to brands like Little Green Radicals, it's now possible to find quality, practical and fun clothing for kids and babies. In this video, with Little Green Radicals' designer of ten years, Josie Bragg, we find out how exactly they create 'forever' clothes for fast-growing and active kids.
In this video you'll learn:
- The background to sustainable childrenswear pioneer brand, Little Green Radicals
- The two main approaches Little Green Radicals take to combat clothing waste
- About Fairtrade and GOTS certifications for cotton
- Why working with sustainable and ethical fabrics is so important
- How to design childrenswear with longevity in mind
- How Little Green Radicals have built such an impressive community and how they empower their community with skills and knowledge
Login to view this lesson. Not a Professional Member of The Sustainable Fashion Collective?
Wool In The Pre-Industrial East Anglian Textile Industry 1500swith Valina Bowman-Burns
How do you make cloth into clothing without machines? The labour-intensive process involved men, women and children. The Tudors and Stuarts were certainly involved in some way in the cloth trade. Did they take on the risky trade of ‘clothier’ and become rich and powerful? Or were they the unacknowledged ‘spinsters’ working for pennies?
We heard from Valina Bowman-Burns at a recent series of seminars hosted by Essex county Council, and with research primarily from the Essex Record Office, to learn about the East Anglian pre-industrial textile trade. Here, we round up her presentation.
Valina covers terms that we use today that can help to better understand the impact of the industrial revolution, along with an explanation of what the roles in the traditional textile trade were and how they've changed. She also looks at the wool processing stages, and how they fit into Tudor England society. It is a fascinating subject, however, this is just a short snippet of research to easily dive in to and digest.